March 30, 2008

My first attempt....

.... at the "Scratch-n-Sniff" technique. It kinda worked I guess. But I definitely need to play around with it some more and test a few things out. I have been meaning to try it and wanted to use the new SU set Tart and Tangy, but then last night I needed to do a quick birthday card for a 20-year-old. I wanted to use the set Big Bold Birthday, and then thought about doing the scratch-n-sniff technique on the frosting for the cupcake.



I used Cherry Kool-Aid and follwed the directions out of a SU's Stampin' Success magazine. Like I said it "kinda" worked, but I think I need to try some other variations. I've read numerous comments on splitcoaststampers about the technique so I will try to come up with some improvements on my first attempt. And then I just *had* to put some "sprinkles" on the cupcake and didn't like anything till I put the little rhinestones on it. Unfortunately, they aren't sticking very well. Grrr. And when you go to "scratch" on it, the rhinestones tend to come off. I tried glueing a couple of them on but the glue reacted with the stuff used for the scratch-n-sniff technique and discolored the "frosting", so I had to just leave well enough alone. Last night it did smell pretty good when I rubbed on it gently, but now today the smell already seems to have lessened.

I plan on doing this technique at my next stampers club workshop so I need to do some experimenting. I am going to try using the Ultra Thick embossing powder as suggested on Splitcoaststampers. I'll let you know what results I get from that.

The layout of this card was copied from a workshop card we did a few months ago. The patterned paper is a scrap from some I've had for a long long time and used on quite a few things. I started off with Purely Pomegranate card stock because I thought it fit the scent of "black cherry" the best. And then I found the scrap of patterned paper that I thought was cool and really matched the pomegranate. This card did not photograph well at all, not sure if you can see it or not but I also put a tiny self adhesive rhinestone to dot the "i" on the "make a wish" sentiment. I think it turned out pretty well and the recipient will hopefully enjoy it.

I also made another quick card last night (and finished my birthday project and card that I had started on Friday night) that I can share with you soon, but for now I will share the card I ended up making to send out for Easter with the Papertrey, Ink set called Everyday Blessings.



I only made about six of them, I had wanted to send out a lot more than that, but didn't get to them in time. I threw the design together really quickly, but I actually love these colors together - Chocolate Chip, Lavender Lace and Certainly Celery. The cardstock is all Stampin' Up, as well as the Forever Flowers wheel that I used for the background on the Lavender panel. The dotted celery ribbon is from Michael's and the self-adhesive pearls I picked up at Archiver's in Appleton. I printed out "He is Risen" on my computer and punched it out with the SU large oval punch. I also printed out a verse for the inside. I had really wanted to come up with a better design, but with the time I had to work with I think they turned out well.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get a chance to stamp today, but I'll have something else to post tonight or tomorrow. I'm off to spend some time with Skyler before we have to take him home.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend!

2 comments:

kjo13 said...

Hi! Love your cards! the cupcake one is colors i wouldn't think would work but they 'sure do'! love it!

And you know how much I love the cross one. The pearls make it so much richer irl...Thank YOu!

Anonymous said...

A scratch n' sniff, how fun!

The card with the cross is such a pretty card...the pearls...nice touch.